Sunday, June 06, 2004

Published letter on Today paper

I am amazed they actually published it. I even made some civilised insults in the original letter I sent, oh well, I leave it as it is.

I refer to the letter, "Give each S'pore family $500" (Today, May 31) by Mr Tan Kin Lian.
.
His call for Singapore's currency to be devalued is short sighted and reveals many fallacies of thought. More importantly, it does not consider the inflationary effects of such devaluation on the country.
.
There will be no magical rush in the numbers of tourists or a sudden rise in demand for our exports just because our currency is weaker.
.
Many factors are at play including the relative price elasticity of our goods vis-à-vis our competitors.
.
Our neighbours will always give more bang for the buck when it comes to tourist dollars — think beautiful natural beaches and friendly people, versus dour sales assistants at many of our shopping centres.
.
T** **** M***



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, yeah got screwed by my groupmates for slacking...oh well, too bad, I got them the company to interview and they don't know how many hours I spent prior to the final part of the project just searching for the relevant articles so as to let them understand the industry. Sian. I am not a scholar material cos I choose to slack. How's that?

No comments: