Friday, June 04, 2004

Life's like that huh...

Read an email last night during one of my regular midnight hour internet surfings, an old time friend had died in a freak fire accident. It was in the news and of course gossip fodder for the tabloids.

I didn't really know what to feel or think, so I just picked up the phone and made calls across distances that usually takes seven hour by SQ planes. I hadn't seen that friend for more than a couple of years already and I have always been harping on to a mutual friend of ours that I would look them up whenever I go back for the holidays. But I didn't.

Cue those comments for life is like that, life is fated and blah blah blah...

The thing is, I didn't really feel all that sad but neither am I exuberantly excited (yeah that would be really perverse), but it did gave me a good excuse to make some calls back to inform some of our old mutual friends; just to hear familar voices for that comfort, to touch the distant memories, to reassure myself that there are some of those whom I care about are still around.

My friend did not have an easy life, well comparatively to her and most of my peers. She had a mind of her own and can be safely said to be obstinate with most things we disagreed on. But the last time I ever talked to her over the phone was really ages ago. With me coming and going away from Singapore, somehow I lose touch with some of the friends who didn't really deserve to be dropped, well, it wasn't on purpose, people drift away and I accept that. I hope, that for all her troubles and worries she had in her life before yesterday morning, that she did not at any point felt that she lived her life in vain, for she had left that little imprint on the hearts of her friends.

No comments: