Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Patriotism?

Exactly what does it mean by being patriotic? Why do some people like to quote latin sayings that essentially means to sacrifice for the greater good? Where is the sense of that? I do not claim to know nor do I really care how good is it for the people that I should cut off my own tongue for them.

I like life, I don't want to die or get incaerated unnecessarily. I like the kind of socially constructed freedom that I currently enjoy. I despise those who try to take that away from me. Unfortunately, some of us don't have a choice.

When I was younger, I used to clamour for the chance to go for any of the national day parade. It conveyed a sense of awe and even some sort of inspiration in me, to strive and become someone as useful as those who were marching in the impressively neat columns. It was of course a great treat to see fireworks then, since it was restricted to only national days and new year eve countdowns.

I remembered once I attended a national day parade rehersal, it was indeed quite overwhelming, what with the seemingly rousing national day songs, flag fly past, I even saluted the flag when I was still just only barely 17. Nothing wrong with that, I love my country then, and I think I still do, although in a very different manner from what some above said people thinks the best way to do.

I don't know what will I do in the near future, with graduation looming, I fear the grasp of my homeland with her ice cold fingers, the sunny island belies a certain dark character underneath her veneer of propserity. But know this I will, and some way I will find, soon.

No comments: